Thursday, October 9, 2014

Week 2

October 8, 2014
2:10pm
Ravenna Park
Sun with patches of clouds

I strolled into Ravenna Park for the second time. I sat on the decaying tree beside me and began to observe the area. A gust of wind blew through the forest and leaves began to fall. Leaves from the maple and red alder tree gathered on the ground. The ground, although still muddy, was not as damp as the last time I was there. Across from me, to my left 5 feet, is a dead tree with moss growing. A week ago, the moss in one area was thriving, but this week I noticed brown in it. Alternatively, there was new moss growth, closer to the water, on the decaying tree. The clouds covered the sun every several minutes. Once the clouds cleared, the birds immediately started chirping.  It almost felt like a switch. When the light came back, so did the bird chirps. The spot I make my observations, in front of a western red cedar tree, was slightly less comfortable than my last visit. A branch, which had always been pointing in my direction, has grown significantly. Protruding from the tree, the branch length has grown about 12 centimeters, which is enough to brush my head. Once I find the correct location to make my observations, I begin to study the Ravenna Creek. The ferns along the creek, mostly western sword and spiny wood ferns have changed their colors. What was once mostly green has mixed with brown sections. As I surveyed the area more, I found a plant behind the western red cedar tree; I identified the plant as an indigenous blackberry plant. The blackberry had tiny spikes coming from its stem and the leaves came in clusters of three. The last plant I noticed was the giant horsetail. This plant appears to grow in between ferns and plants. Whenever I saw one, it was growing diagonally and was trying to compete for resources with the ferns.

After observing all the nature around me, it is difficult not to notice the human interference. Behind the western red cedar, there are sunglasses covered in dirt. Across the creek, there are water bottles left on the hills. Even I have to admit to disturbing the area. Every time I walk towards the creek, I disturb the decomposing tree or step on a ground plant accidentally. It’s interesting to see how much disturbance can occur.

A panoramic picture of the observation location 

A picture of the Western Sword Fern directly next to the creek

An indigenous blackberry leaf

Unknown moss growing on a dead tree trunk

Dead Maple Leaves on the forest floor with a few Red Alder Leaves

Sketches:








Red Alder Leaf Sketch

Unknown plant growing on decomposing tree Sketch

Giant Horsetail Sketch





No comments:

Post a Comment